• Print

ESL - ELAC - English Language and American Culture


First Steps

  • If you are planning to come to USA to study, you must have a Passport and a valid student visa.
  • We suggest you go to a travel agency for help how can get a Passport and valid student visa.
  • A student visa is required for study in the United States.
  • To apply for a student visa, complete an I-20 form available from La Sierra University.
  • Request the I-20 form, complete the International Students Financial Guarantee Form (FGF) and pay the fee taxes.
  • The I-20 form is a confirmation to the US government that you are enrolled in a college or a language school in United States.
  • After you have your I-20 form, you will be able to schedule your student visa appointment with your country's embassy.


Documents Needed:


Here's a few things you might want to do BEFORE coming to La Sierra University.

  • Reserve housing if you will be living in one of the dormitories. You can make a dorm room application directly through the Residential Life web site.
  • Request an airport pick up, if needed. You'll need your flight information to contact the shuttle company. NOTE: There is a fee for this service.
  • Register for one of the International Student Orientations at La Sierra University.

Arrival / Check-in

After you arrive at La Sierra University, all new international students must check in with the Office of International Student Services (OISS). To check in, you must do the following:

  • Go to Room 206 in the Administration Building (OISS).
  • Present a valid I-20 showing a legal entry stamp in the U.S. or a valid transfer I-20.
  • Present a valid I-94 card showing a legal entry stamp in the U.S. or a valid change of visa classification document with attached I-94.
  • Present a valid passport.
  • Present a valid F-1 visa in passport, or change of visa classification document to F-1.
  • Update your address and other contact information with the OISS office.
  • Attend the mandatory immigration regulations orientation meeting, which is held at the beginning of each academic quarter.

Orientation Forms

After you have checked-in, you will need to complete these forms:

Classes are divided into three levels: basic, beginning, intermediate, and advanced. Placement is based on scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Michigan Language Proficiency Test or International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS).


Contact Us

4500 Riverwalk Parkway
Riverside, CA 92515



Office Location:

Convenience Center
Suite EE


Office Hours:

Monday -Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

8:00 a.m. - Noon

Please Wait...