The Office of Service-Learning
Our Mission is to:
- Provide opportunities for students to engage in meaningful service that enriches the classroom.
- Foster civic responsibility and commitment to service in students.
- Support faculty in the development and implementation of service-learning courses.
- Develop mutually satisfying long-term partnerships with community organizations.
We are committed to high quality service-learning courses that effectively integrate service and learning by:
- Providing faculty with up-to-date best practices in service-learning pedagogy.
- Helping faculty to find appropriate community partners who will collaborate in achieving the learning goals of the class.
- Encouraging ongoing faculty development that will enhance the quality of the service-learning experience.
- Supporting students through adequate orientation and assistance in their community sites.
- Developing and maintaining mutually satisfying, long-term partnerships with community agencies that support the academic objectives of service-learning courses.
- Maintaining an effective structure that ensures the smooth operation of the service-learning program.
Service at La Sierra University
A commitment to service is clearly at the core of the educational experience at La Sierra University. Service brings purpose to the knowledge, skills, and abilities of our students. We believe that right now, our students can take these lessons and apply them on-campus, in the community, and all around the world.
Frequently Asked Questions About Service-Learning
What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
What are the goals of Service-Learning?
Service-learning combines service to the community with student learning in a way that improves both the student and the community. As they participate in their community service projects, actively meeting the needs of communities, youth develop practical skills, self-esteem, and a sense of civic responsibility.
How does Service-Learning differ from community service or volunteering?
Community service is volunteer action taken to meet the needs of others and better the community as a whole. Service-learning is integrated into and enhances the academic curriculum of students engaged in service, or the educational components of the community service program in which the participants are enrolled. Service-learning provides structured time for thoughtful planning of the service project and guided reflection by participants on the service experience. Overall, the most important feature of effective service-learning programs is that both learning and service are emphasized.