- JD. University of California (Los Angeles). 2001.
- PhD. University of Cambridge. 1991.
- BA. La Sierra University. 1987.
Academic Interests/Research Areas:
- Normative legal theory
- Ethics of personal relationships
La Sierra University
- Distinguished Scholarship Award (2010)
- University President's Award (1987)
- graduation magna cum laude (1987)
- Alonzo L. Baker Scholarship (1985-6)
University of Cambridge
- Burney Fund award (1990-1)
- Theological Studies Fund award (1990-1)
University of California
- Order of the Coif: membership (2001)
- Judge Jerry Pacht Memorial Award in Constitutional Law (2001)
- Polaris Award, Special Commission (1997). Presented by the Public Relations Society of America—Riverside/Inland Empire Chapter
- Overseas Research Studentship (1989-91) presented by the Committee of Principals and Vice Chancellors of the United Kingdom
- National Merit Scholarship Competition finalist status (1983-4)
- Radicalizing Rawls: Global Justice and the Foundations of International Law. Philosophy, Public Policy, and Transnational Law. New York: Palgrave 2014. 978-1137382900.
- Anarchy and Legal Order: Law and Politics for a Stateless Society. New York: Cambridge UP 2013. 978-1107032286.
- The Conscience of an Anarchist: Why It’s Time to Say Good-Bye to the State and Build a Free Society. Apple Valley, CA: Cobden 2011. 978-1935942023.
- Economic Justice and Natural Law. Cambridge: Cambridge UP 2009. 978-0521767200.
- The Analogy of Love: Divine and Human Love at the Center of Christian Theology. Exeter: Imprint Academic 2007. 978-1845400910.
- Chartier, Gary, and Johnson, Charles W., eds. Markets Not Capitalism: Individualist Anarchism against Bosses, Inequality, Corporate Power, and Structural Poverty. New York: Minor Compositions-Autonomedia 2011. 978-1-57027-242-4.
- Chartier, Gary, ed. Law and Anarchism: Legal Order and the Idea of a Stateless Society. Griffith Law Review 21.2 (2012): 293-498.