- Ph.D. (Accounting and Finance),The University of Newcastle, Australia. 2002
- M.Com. (Management Accounting), The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. 1986
- MBA Andrews University. 1981
- BSc (Accounting), Andrews University 1980
- Dipl Bus Admin. Helderberg College 1970
Principal Research Interests
The not-for-profit sector is a fruitful place for research and much of the work I have done has focused on this sector.
Teaching in tertiary environment also lends itself to reflection and research. We should all be asking how we can improve our delivery and figuring out how to work with Gen Y is an ongoing interest.
Academic Interests/Research Area:
- Internal Auditing.
- Financial accountability.
- Not-for-profit governance.
Australian College of Educators Certificate of Recognition for contribution to the community with the citation, "For being a visionary and champion of his students." This award was based on the nomination of students at Avondale College, 3 November 2009.
- "International Charities Not-for-Profit Governance—The Expectation Gap." In collaboration with Dr Lisa Barnes. Radix International Journal of Research in Social Science. Vol 1, Issue 2 (February 2012). ISSN: 2250-3994.
- “Not-for Profit Governance for International Charities—The Governance and Accountability Gap.” In collaboration with Dr Lisa Barnes. International Journal of Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Research. Vol. 1 No. 2, February 2012.
- “Board Structure and Accountability: A Not-for-Profit Governance Perspective.” In collaboration with Dr Lisa Barnes. Global Journal of Strategies and Governance. Vol. 2, Number 1, January 2011.
- “The Salvation Army—Aspects of their financial administration: Success and Failure.” Managerial Auditing Journal. Vol. 20, Number 7, 2005. pp. 649–662.
- “International Teaching—An Exploratory View.” New Zealand Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol. 1. Number 1, September 2002. pp. 93–105.
Refereed Conference papers:
- “The Application of a Portfolio in Financial Accounting: An Experimental Approach.” In collaboration with Michael Kinnen, La Sierra University, California. A paper prepared for the Accounting Education SIG, AFAANZ conference, Auckland, 6 – 8 July 2014.
- “Freedom of Religion and Eternal Accountability: Internal Auditing and its Implications within the Seventh-day Adventist Church.” In collaboration with Jonathan Langton and Brian West, Federation University, Australia. A paper prepared for the AFAANZ conference, Auckland, 6 – 8 July 2014.
- “Governance in the Not-for-Profit Sector: In International Perspective.” In collaboration with Dr Lisa Barnes, the University of Newcastle. A paper prepared for the American Accounting Association Government and Nonprofit section mid year Conference, Norwalk, Connecticut March 28 and 29, 2014.
- “Not-for-Profit Governance for International Charities—The Governance and Accountability Gap.” In collaboration with Dr Lisa Barnes, the University of Newcastle. A paper presented at the American Accounting Association annual conference, Denver Colorado, 6–10 August 2011.
- “Teaching Business Ethics: An Australian Perspective.” A paper presented at the 22nd Asia-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Gold Coast, Australia, 7–9 November 2010.
- “Teaching Accounting to Generation Y: Applying Technology to the Education Experience.” A paper presented at the 11th World Conference of Accounting Educators and Researchers, Singapore, 4–6 November 2010