• Print

International Student Services

Employing F-1 Students

Employing an international student to work in your department is a very rewarding experience. International students bring a vast array of talents and cultural differences that will only benefit your department and add to the rich diversity of the University.

Because of government regulations, international students do have certain work limitations. Here is a brief summary:

  • International students can only work on-campus (i.e., ONLY at La Sierra University if they are our students).

  • International students can only work up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours a week during official university breaks.

  • International students are allowed to do paid internships and co/ops outside of the university if the the correct paperwork has been processed BEFORE the internship begins. This is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). NOTE: there are restrictions and not all international students qualify for CPT.

  • International students who have applied for and have been granted Post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) are allowed to work full-time in a field related to their major for 12 months after they complete their studies.

If you would like to hire an international student, please contact either the OISS or the Office of Human Resources.

If you are experiencing difficulties with cultural issues with your international student worker and would like help addressing these issues, contact the OISS at x2237.

"What Employers Should Know About Hiring International Students"

Please Wait...