- M.F.A., Literary Nonfiction, University of Minnesota, 2007
- M.A., English: Creative Writing, Iowa State University, 2001
- B.A., History, magna cum laude, Southern Scholar, Southern Adventist University, 1998
Principal Research Interests
- Women writers
- Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, Grant in Nonfiction, 2013
- Nominated for Best American Essays, 2011
- Nominated and Selected for the 2011 Best of the Net Anthology
- The Atlantic Monthly, Student Writing Competition, Honorable Mention in Essay, 2007
- Marcella DeBourg Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2006
- Eva Kriseova Fellowship in Creative Nonfiction, University of Western Michigan, 2006
- Gesell Award for Excellence in Literary Nonfiction, University of Minnesota, 2005 and 2006
- “Secrets.” Pithead Chapel, April 2014, Vol. 3, Issue 4. Web.
- “Dividing Up the World Between Us.” Cerise Press: A Journal of Literature, Arts & Culture, Summer 2013, Vol. 4, Issue 13. Web.
- “Betty Smith.” American Writers Supplement XXIII. Ed. Jay Parini. Charles Scribners & Sons, 2012. 257-271. Print.
- “Ugandan Psalm.” (reprint) 2011 Best of the Net Anthology, Sundress Publications. 2011. Web.
- “Ugandan Psalm.” Cerise Press: A Journal of Literature, Arts & Culture. Cerise Press Journal. Fall/Winter 2010-11. Web.
- “Driver Ants.” (Reprint) Sideways. September 2010. Web.
- “Driver Ants.” Brevity: A Journal of Concise Literary Nonfiction. Creative Nonfiction. Spring 2006. Web.
- Columnist, Adventist Review, 2004-2008. Print.