Carefully read the “Procedures for New International Students” document you received from the Office of International Student Services (OISS) with your I-20 form. This document provides necessary information on the following steps:
- Obtain a Student Visa
- Pay the SEVIS Fee
- Request an External Evaluation of your Transcript(s)
If you have any problem or questions about your visa please contact the OISS.
- The classes you take will depend on the results of your English language proficiency testing.
- Testing must be completed before you can register for classes.
- LSU accepts the TOEFL IBT (Internet-based test) or IELTS. Or, you may take the TOEFL ITP (Institutional Testing Program) or the Michigan Language Proficiency test once you are on campus to meet this requirement.
- The cost for the Michigan is $35 and the TOEFL ITP is $50.
- Student must pay at the time of the test; cash, check or credit cards are accepted.
- To have ALL your classes be university-level, you will need the following test scores:
- TOEFL: 550 or higher, OR Michigan 86%ile average with at least 77%ile in Language Proficiency, OR IELTS: 6.5 or higher.
- To have 50% of your classes be university-level & 50% ESL (English as a Second Language), you will need the following test scores:
- TOEFL: 500-549, OR Michigan: 77-85%ile average, OR IELTS: 5-6.
- To be in ALL ESL classes, your test scores will be in this range:
- TOEFL: 499 and below, OR Michigan: 76%ile average and below, OR IELTS: 4.5 and below.
Language proficiency testing flowchart.
Test Scores Comparison
New Student Orientation
What is New Student Orientation?
- The required 2-day orientation is hosted by the Center for Student Academic Success and provides you with assistance as you prepare to enroll at La Sierra University. By the end of the orientation you will have registered for your Fall Quarter classes.
- Space is limited. Hurry and register for Orientation!
- A $300 scholarship will be awarded to students who meet specific criteria.
What Should I Bring to Orientation?
- I-20 form
- I-94 card
- U.S. address and phone number for where you will be living in the U.S.
- Emergency contact in the U.S. (could be a relative or family friend)
- Completed health form and immunization records
- Any academic and/or financial documents requested by La Sierra University departments
New Student Orientation
RESIDENCE HALLS: If you are under 22 and not living with a parent or legal guardian, you are required to live in the Residence Hall. You must also complete the meal contract at the Residence Hall.
UNIVERSITY APARTMENTS: If you are 22 or older you may apply for university housing by calling (951) 785-2511. Fill the form and send it ot us.
MEAL PLAN: Dining at the Commons. Students will sign a meal contract when they move into the residence hall. Non-residence hall students may purchase meal blocks at the Bursar's office (951) 785-2152.
Fill out the Dorm Form ASAP to ensure a room for the school year.
Be aware that the $100 room dorm deposit is required before a room can be reserved.
To make your room deposit payment, please either contact:
- Our Cashiers Office at (951) 785-2152 (to pay with Credit Card)
- Or send your check/money order with your LSU ID # to:
Director of Residential Life
La Sierra University
4500 Riverwalk Pkwy
Riverside, CA 92515
All students are required to have a current health physical (within one year) and up-to-date immunizations.
The Health Record and Physical Examination must be completed and submitted to La Sierra University Health Services before attending classes.
Call Health Services at (951) 785-2200 if you have any questions.
- Turn in the required form (physicals and immunizations) to Health Services. You can have a doctor in your country complete the Health Record Form. Bring the completed form to the International Orientation.
- Schedule an appointment with Health Services for a physical. A $75 fee for the health physical and an additional immunization fee will be charged to the student account.
Students are not permitted to attend classes without meeting the health requirement.
Both sides of the form must be completed and submitted to LSU Health Services before enrollment.
Request an airport pick up, if needed.
You'll need your flight information to schedule a pick up.
Note: there is a $75 fee for this service.
Reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance!