- EdD, Boston University, 2007
- MS, Loma Linda University, 1986
- BS, Loma Linda University, Riverside campus, 1983
Principal Research Interests
Dr. Thomas typically teaches upper-division courses in Health & Exercise Science such as Principles of Epidemiology, Applied Public Health Statistics, Research Methods, Senior Seminar: Religion, Values, and Social Responsibility in Health & Movement, and Physiological Assessment and Exercise Prescription.
He has served as president for the Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness; as the chair of the Faculty Senate at La Sierra University; and currently serves as the executive director for the Seventh-day Adventist Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Association.
He has presented at numerous conventions regionally, nationally, and internationally on the areas of his research and academic interests.
Health & EXERCISE Research Area:
- PhysicalGenesis: Fitness and Health Behaviors in students grades 5-11
- Fitness and Academic Performance
- Fitness Levels of College Students
- History of SDA Physical Education in Higher Education
- Anees Haddad “Excellence in Faculty Governance” award, LaSU, 2012
- “Faculty of the Year” award for Service-Learning at LaSU, 2011
- Dr. G. Arthur Broten “Young Scholars” award at the Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness, 2005
- Who’s Who among America’s Teachers, 2003-2006
- Zapara "Excellence in Teaching" Award at Atlantic Union College, 1992
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics District 5 Volleyball "Coach of the Year", 1991
- Perkins, S., & Thomas, R.K. (Dec 2011/Jan 2012). Exercising with Exergaming: Giving Physical Education a Technology Makeover. Journal of Adventist Education, 74(2), 34-39
- Thomas, R.K. (Oct/Nov 2011). The Seventh-day Adventist Physical Education Pyramid. Journal of Adventist Education, 74(1), 34-37
- Thomas, R.K. (2005). The leadership experience of presidents of small, professional organizations. Monograph Series. Western Society for Kinesiology and Wellness
- Hamerslough, W.S., Thomas, R.K., & Windemuth, T. (2003). Guidelines for SDA Athletics. Riverside, CA: Seventh-day Adventist Health, Physical Education, Recreation Association
- Hamerslough, W.S., Thomas, R.K., & Haldeman, J. (2003). A comparison of strength development using various repetition speeds. WCPES Western Society Review