- Ph.D., sociology, University of California, Riverside, 2010
Principal Research Interests
My research interests lie in the areas of family and social justice. Regarding my focus on family, I have presented and published in the areas of fathering across neighborhood, ethnic and immigrant dimensions. Recently, I worked alongside a team of family researchers at the University of California, Riverside and Arizona State University on an interdisciplinary longitudinal research grant exploring meanings of fatherhood. The grant is funded through the National Institutes of Health. My current family focuses include understanding parental influences on the academic outcomes of their children, and the interplay between popular culture, gender identity and parent-child relationships.
Regarding my interest in social justice, I have presented and published articles in areas of protest, threat and mobilization and I am currently analyzing data on how border politics and social inequities impact transnational families.
- Popular culture
- Social movements
- “Neighborhood Environments: A Multi-Measure, Multi-Level Approach” (with Ross D. Parke, Shoon Lio, Thomas Schofield, Louis Tuthill and Scott Coltrane). In The Environment of Human Development: A Handbook of Theory and Measurement, edited by L. C. Mayes and M. Lewis. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- “Imagining the Future of Immigrant Fathers” (with Ross D. Parke, Jeffrey T. Cookston, Norma Perez and Scott Coltrane). In On New Shores: Understanding Immigrant Fathers in North America, edited by S.S. Chuang and R.P. Moreno. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2007.
- “Welfare is Not For Sale: Campaigns Against Welfare Privatization in Milwaukee.” (with Ellen Reese and Vincent Giedraitis), Social Justice, 2006, Vol. 33: 38-53.
- “Mobilization and the Scale of Threat: Resistance to Welfare Privatization in Four American Cities.” (with Ellen Reese and Vincent Giedraitis), Sociological Focus, 2005, Vol. 38: 287-309.
- “Parental Monitoring in a Neighborhood Context: Isolating the Effects of Ethnicity, Social Class, and Perceived Threat” (with Scott Coltrane, Scott Melzer and Ross D. Parke). In Situated Fatherhood, edited by William Marsiglio, Kevin Roy, and Greer Litton Fox. Lanham: Rowan and Littlefield, 2005. .