Department of School Psychology and Counseling
Steps to Completion
- Apply for admission. Graduate admission/application procedures can be found at http://www.lasierra.edu/departments/admissions/grad-procedure.html.
- Meet with a faculty advisor and have her/him create a program for you. The department secretary can assist you in making an appointment with a member of our faculty, or you can contact a faculty member directly. Contact information is available at http://newweb.lasierra.edu/?id=289.
- Download the portfolio document(s) for your degree(s) from the Forms page on this website, and build your portfolio as you progress through the program.
Preparing for Field Practice:
- Apply for field practice. An Application for Field Practice can be downloaded from the Forms page on this website, and should be submitted with all the required supporting documentation to the department secretary at least 6 weeks prior to starting field practice. In order for your application to be processed, you must attach evidence of the following to your application form:
- CBEST® – You must take and pass the CBEST®. Information on taking the CBEST® can be obtained from the Learning Support and Testing Center at(951) 785-2453 or http://www.lasierra.edu/centers/lstc/testing/testwebsitesg.html, or on the CBEST® website at http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/. Attach a copy of the CBEST® certificate that shows that you passed the CBEST® to your application.
- TB Test – You must attach to your application a copy of the medical results of a negative TB test or negative chest X-ray that has been completed within the last two years.
- CCTC Criminal Clearance – You must obtain criminal clearance through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Information on obtaining CCTC Criminal Clearance can be obtained from the credentials analyst at(951) 785-2224. Attach a copy of your criminal clearance certificate to your application.
- Take and pass the courses listed on your approved program. A copy of your approved program can be obtained from the department secretary. You must earn a grade of not less than a "B" for each required course, and you must complete the program with a GPA of not less than a 3.30 (3.00 for the Master of Arts degree) in order to graduate.
- Apply for admission to candidacy after completing 27-30 units or during winter quarter of the year you intend to participate in graduation ceremonies, whichever comes first. An Application for Admission to Candidacy can be downloaded from the Forms page on this website and should be submitted to the department secretary.
- Petition for graduation two quarters before you intend to graduate and/or participate in graduation ceremonies. A Petition for Graduation can be downloaded from the Forms page on this website and should be submitted to the department secretary.
- Take and pass the PRAXIS® subject examination that applies to your degree, and submit a copy of the scores PRAXIS® sends you to the department secretary. The School Guidance and Counseling section of the PRAXIS® (code #0420) is the required comprehensive examination for the Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. The School Psychology section of the PRAXIS® (code #0400) is the required comprehensive examination for the Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) degree. Information about the PRAXIS® can be obtained from the Learning Support and Testing Center at (951) 785-2453 or http://www.lasierra.edu/centers/lstc/testing/testwebsitesg.html, or on the PRAXIS® website at http://www.ets.org/praxis/prxtest.html.
- Present your portfolio. Give a 15-minute PowerPoint presentation of what you have learned and how you have grown as a person during your program, using the contents of your portfolio as evidence. Portfolio presentations are at 11 a.m. on the ninth Thursday of fall, winter, and spring quarters. Contact the department secretary to reserve a presentation date.
- Apply for your credential, if applicable. Contact the credentials analyst at (951) 785-2224 for details.