Specific Acceptable Uses
* Communication and exchange necessary to transact or facilitate University business.
* Announcements of University activities or other important items of information related to academic interests.
* Communication incidental to otherwise acceptable use, except as stated below
Examples of Unacceptable Uses
* For-profit activities, except those operated or specifically authorized by La Sierra University. Personal or business advertising of any kind is not permitted.
* Extensive use for private or personal business.
* Advertising is forbidden. However, responsible discussion of a product’s relative advantages and disadvantages by users of the product is permitted.
* Unauthorized access, alteration, destruction, removal and/or disclosure of data, information, equipment, software, or systems.
* Deliberate over-extension of the resources of a system or interference with the processing of a system.
* Attempts to access confidential information and/or passwords.
* Activities which violate copyright law, including but not limited to downloading copyrighted MP3s, videos, movies, and software, etc.
* Disclosure of confidential passwords and/or access devices or information for accounts, equipment, and telephone voice mail.
* Issuance of electronic mail that includes commercial advertisements, viruses/trojans, hoaxes, or chain letters.
* Propagation of hate literature and harassment, including sexual harassment.
* Theft of resources.
* Malicious or unethical use, and use that violates University policy and regulations or state or federal laws.
* Chain mail of any kind.
* Assigning of addresses not specifically granted by IT
* The operation of any non-educational server or service offering or transferring data in a public manner onto the Internet. This includes but is not limited to HTTP, FTP, mail/news, programs such as Gnutella or Napster (in server modes), etc.