- Ed.D. Piano Pedagogy, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1991.
- Ed.M. Piano Pedagogy, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1991.
- M.M. Piano Performance, Manhattan School of Music, 1988.
- B.M. Piano Performance, Manhattan School of Music, 1987.
Elvin S. Rodríguez is currently Professor of Music and Chair of the Department of Music at La Sierra University. Dr. Rodríguez frequently performs in solo and chamber recitals, and has presented at local, state, and national workshops and conferences in the areas of keyboard pedagogy, Baroque keyboard performance practice, improvisation for beginners, and the integration of music technology in the piano curriculum. Dr. Rodríguez has worked with state, national and international prize winning pianists of all ages and is a frequent adjudicator for advanced and professional adjudications and competitions.
Dr. Rodríguez received his BM and MM in Piano Performance from the Manhattan School of Music, and later received an Ed.M. and Ed.D. in Music Education from Teachers College, Columbia University. He has studied with Rhona Hodgen, Earle Voorhies, Constance Keene, Dr. Mark Silverman, and Dr. Robert Pace. Dr. Rodríguez also studied organ with Donald Vaughn. Dr. Rodríguez has received many awards and won many competitions, including the prestigious Young Artist Guild given by the Music Teachers Association of California, and received the distinction of Promising Young Artist from the national ARTS organization. Dr. Rodríguez has toured Chile, South America and given a series of classes, master classes, and concerts. He has also toured in Trinidad where he presenting master classes and concerts. Recent performances include playing the Warsaw Concerto with the Redlands Symphony Orchestra and an organ recital at Lake Avenue Congregational Church.
Research Scholarship & Creative Activities:
Recent performances include soloing with the Redlands Symphony Orchestra, an organ recital at Lake Avenue Congregational Church in Pasadena, CA and upcoming tour of Chile where I will be giving a pedagogy seminar as part of a 2-year Pedagogy Certificate at the Adventist University in Chillan, Chile. The certificate is open to all music students of the university and to area universities and colleges.
RESEARCH/ACADEMIC INTEREST/CREATIVE ACTIVITY AREA HIGHLIGHTS
Keyboard and chamber music performance, teaching, and special interest in pedagogy and composition.
Committees and Affiliations:
- Affiliations, Boards, Committees: Chair, Department of Music. CAS Rank and Tenure Committee, 2005-present. University Studies, Academic Variance Committee Chair, Music Advisory Committee.
- External Committees and Affiliations: Music Teachers' Association of California (MTAC). Music Teachers' National Association (MTNA). Music Educators National Conference (MENC).
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Affiliations, Boards, Committees:
- Task Force on Pre-Foundational Studies, 2011-present.
- Task Force on SDA Beliefs and Values in the University Studies Curriculum, Co-Chair, 2011-present.
- Director, Humanities Team, 2007–2011.
- Chair, WASC Academic Faculty Area #1 group, 2007-2009.
- CAS Rank and Tenure Committee, 2005-present.
- Director of Music Technology, 2004-present.
- Director of Keyboard Studies, 2003-2011.
- Young Artist Guild member of the Music Teachers Association of California.
- Promising Young Artist, national ARTS organization (now the YoungArts Foundation).
- Musica Analytica, Music Theory Software and Courseware.