• Print

Financial Aid / Student Financial Services

Federal Work Study


**A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed before applying for a student loan**

What Is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program which provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are awarded an allotment which may be earned through part-time employment in FWS approved positions on campus. The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity for employment arranged around class schedules. Students must be enrolled as full-time to be eligible for this program.

If you wish to be considered for this program, you must indicate this preference on the FAFSA and have your FAFSA received by the processing center prior to March 1.

How Will I Know If I Qualify For FWS?

After filing the FAFSA, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will send an award notification to students who have applications completed. This notification will describe the types and amounts of awards offered, including FWS. If this notification does not include a FWS offer, either you are not eligible for FWS or the FWS funds have been exhausted.


Should I Notify the Office of Student Financial Services if I Decide To Decline My FWS Award?


If you did not refuse your FWS allotment on your award notification, but wish not to participate, please notify, in writing, the Office of Student Financial Services so that the funding can be given to someone who wishes to participate.

How Do I Find a FWS Position?

Departments will post job openings at the Human Resources office. Students may begin reviewing the posted jobs as soon as possible. Jobs are limited and highly competitive. Your award letter includes a Federal Work Study offer, you will have an opportunity to seek employment. Student employment is not assigned. Your offer of work-study funding is no assurance of employment. It is your responsibility to check the posting and pick up your interview form for student employment and to successfully interview for the job of your choice. After you have successfully gained employment, you must bring documents to the Human Resources office to support your U.S. citizenship and your eligibility to work in the United States. The two most favored documents are your valid driver's license and your original Social Security Card. You must bring with you your current term student ID.


How Do I Receive The Money That Is Allotted?

You will receive an hourly wage set by the employer (at least minimum wage). Work schedules are determined by the student and their boss. It is the student responsibility to clock in and out in the Kronos clock when starting and ending the day's work. Paychecks can be picked up from the Payroll office every two weeks on Fridays.

Cal Grant Apply