Church Matching Scholarship
La Sierra University will match up to $1,000 for contributions from students’ congregations or conference. The contribution check (cash will not be matched) must be accompanied with a signed contract, stating that the funds were processed in accordance with IRS regulations. This scholarship program is available to students who have an unmet need after all other student aid programs have been awarded and may help to reduce the students’ loans. The external funds and the University’s matching portion will pay over three quarters. Educational Allowance recipients are not eligible for the matching funds.
Matching funds are not available for reduced-tuition or off-campus programs.
NAD Graduate Student Scholarship
La Sierra University has a limited number of scholarships for students who have graduated from a North American Division (NAD) college or university and who enroll in one of the University’s graduate programs. Qualifying students are chosen by each graduate program, and receive a 25% discount on tuition (tuition less SDA). Students must be enrolled in at least 8 units (6 units for SE) each quarter to qualify. The award is renewable for a total of 8 quarters (including Summers) not to exceed 48 units.
- School of Business has up to 10 new awards per year
- English has 3 new awards per year
- School of Education has 5 new awards per year.
- School of Religion no longer participates in the program, since their students receive a discounted tuition rate.
All awards are subject to approval by Enrollment Services.
DISCOUNTS AND WAIVERS
SDA Membership Award
Students who are members of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church or non-SDA students who graduate from an SDA academy will receive a tuition discount based on enrollment.
|Quarter ||Annual |
|Three-Quarter Time ||$375||$1,125|
This award does not apply to reduced-tuition programs such as ACCESS, ESL/ELC or School of Religion graduate programs, or to off-campus cohort programs.
A discount is available when two or more members of a student’s immediate family (from the same household—living at home or in the residence halls) are enrolled in a paying, non-tuition-discounted, program at La Sierra University. Each paying member of the family will receive a $300 discount for each quarter that they are enrolled full-time (include both family members’ names on estimate). The award is coordinated with each student’s financial aid package and is prorated for less than full-time enrollment.
Resident Assistant (RA) Room Waiver
In addition to a payroll stipend, resident assistants (RAs) receive scholarship that applies toward residence hall room charges. Resident assistants are chosen by the residence hall deans, and approved through Student Life. Angwin and Towers have up to 6 RAs each; Calkins has up to 4 RAs; South (honors) has 2 RAs. Additional RA Waiver funds are available for RAs working in the summer.
International Student Discount
A scholarship of $1,300 per quarter is available to full-time international graduate-level students who are members of the Seventh-day Adventist church or who have graduated or transferred from a Seventh-day Adventist college, or university. The award will be pro-rated for students who are enrolled less than full-time. The student may need to submit an Application for the International Student SDA Transfer Scholarship to Admissions to be approved.
This award does not apply to reduced-tuition programs such as Distance Learning, ESL/ELC or School of Religion graduate programs, or to off-campus or cohort programs.
Divinity School Graduate Tuition Discount
A tuition discount of $312/unit is available to all students admitted to a graduate program in the Divinity School. The discount will post immediately when the student registers. This discount and the MDiv Tuition Scholarship, awarded by the Divinity School, are the only institutional aid awards available to graduate students in the Divinity School.
Pacific Union Conference Teacher Tuition Waiver
A scholarship of up to 12 units per academic year is available to certain teachers in the Pacific Union Conference of SDA’s. This award is for teachers who take courses through the School of Education at the credential or masters level to meet professional-development criteria (see Tuition Waiver Authorization form for more information).
Qualified teachers must provide a Tuition Waiver Authorization form signed by their local conference’s superintendent of education in order to receive this discount.
There are two discounts available to students who pay their balance up-front. These discounts are calculated on charges less all aid (including loans).
- A 7% discount is available to students who pay the year-in-advance at Fall quarter registration. This discount is pro-rated over all three terms in the regular school year (Fall, Winter, & Spring). This discount can apply to the off-campus Criminal Justice program.
- A 2% discount is available to students who pay the quarter-in-advance at each term’s registration.
These discounts do not apply to already discounted (i.e. summer undergrad, School of Religion grad, ESL/ELC) or off-campus programs (Digital Learning, PMBA, CJ).
Yellow Ribbon Program for Veterans
La Sierra University has chosen to participate in the Veteran Administration’s Yellow Ribbon Program which is part of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.
- The University will waive, through the use of institutional scholarships, up to 50% of qualifying veterans’ tuition expenses that exceed the $20,235.02 that is covered by the VA Ch.33 tuition and fee benefits. The VA will match this amount (maximum $8,969/year). The Yellow Ribbon program combined with the veterans Ch. 33 educational benefit can add up to a 100% discount on tuition and fees.
- Students enrolled under this program will not be eligible for other institutional aid funds.
- This discount program is offered on a first-come, first-served basis, and will be available for up to 50 qualifying veterans per year.
- This program is renewable for all subsequent years in which the eligible student maintains satisfactory academic progress, conduct, and attendance, for as long as the University participates in the program.
If you have questions about scholarships, please contact the Financial Aid Office at:
Student Financial Services
La Sierra University
4500 Riverwalk Parkway
Riverside, CA 92515