• Print

Spiritual Life


What happens if I get sick?

All approved volunteers are insured for basic emergency medical insurance.  This may cover partial medical treatment costs in country and, if necessary, a ticket to seek out further medical treatment.


Many of the sites have basic medical treatment facilities nearby.  However, volunteers that develop serious medical conditions will either be evacuated to a more comprehensive medical facility as soon as possible or may have to return home until they recover.


What immunizations will I need to get?

Each country differs in common ailments and diseases, and the immunization requirements differ.  All volunteers, regardless of destination or length of trip, should be up to date with tetanus booster, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and MMR immunizations.  You should check the US government’s website for the specific immunizations you will need. (http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx).


Some of the immunizations are not available at my doctor’s office.  Where can I go to get less common immunizations?

Most immunizations you will need can be obtained at a travel clinic.  Click here to find the travel clinic nearest you.