History of Apha Mu Gamma
The Gamma Tau Chapter has been present on La Sierra University Campus since Dr. Lourdes E. Morales-Gudmundsson was a student on campus, but it was not active. In 1996 Dr. Morales became chair of the World Languages Department. A year later she revived the Gamma Tau chapter and kept it active until this day.
The National Chapter of Alpha Mu Gamma was established at Los Angeles City College on April 29, 1931, when five members of the foreign language faculty recognized the need for a society to honor achievement in all languages at an early stage in the student’s career. The interest show by other colleges inspired the founders to expend the society almost immediately into a national organization.
In January 1957, through the efforts of the eleventh National President, Sister Eloise Therese of Sigma Chapter at Moutn St. Mary’s College in Los Angeles, the week of February 16-22 was proclaimed as National Foreign Language Week by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Each successive President of the United States has continued this practice. Soon the nationwide distribution of posters by the famous Pulitzer-prize winning cartoonist, Bruce Russell, brought the name of Alpha Mu Gamma to the attention of foreign language faculties everywhere and led to an extremely rapid growth of the organization, especially in the East and Middle West.
In 1966 the largest Regional conference to date was sponsored by Gamma Beta chapter at Fordham University in New York City. In 1968 the National Convention was held at the Palmer House in Chicago for three days. Delegates were present from both coasts. On all these occasions, c congratulations were received from such dignitaries as the U.S commissioner of Education 9(writing for the President of the United States), the Vice-President of the United States, and various state governors. The society is continuing to add new chapters every year. The number is upwards of 300 chapters nationwide.