Our History

1922
La Sierra Academy is founded on acreage once part of an 1846 Mexican land grant known as Rancho La Sierra;
the school’s first bulletin proclaims that students will “learn to render effective service.”

1923
With the addition of coursework in preparation for teaching, La Sierra Academy becomes La Sierra Academy and Normal School.

1927
Course offerings expand; La Sierra Academy and Normal School becomes Southern California Junior College.

1939
Southern California Junior College becomes La Sierra College.

1946
Course offerings expand; first year of formal accreditation as a four-year liberal arts college.

1967
La Sierra College merges with Loma Linda University as its College of Arts and Sciences.

1968
The School of Education is organized.

1986
The School of Business and Management and the Division of Continuing Studies are introduced.

1987
The School of Religion is established.

1990
The Loma Linda and La Sierra campuses of Loma Linda University are reorganized as separate institutions.
Four schools (The College of Arts and Sciences; the Schools of Education, Business, and Religion) and the Division of
Continuing Studies become La Sierra University.

2002
The Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) Team wins the SIFE World Cup in 2002.
La Sierra SIFE students win the SIFE World Cup again in 2007.

2008
La Sierra named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll Program: Honor Roll with Distinction.
The award recognizes the many hours of community service provided by La Sierra students.

  • Last update on  October 12, 2010